Monday, September 8, 2014

Day 1



Dear David,

Last night I got a call from you. Actually, it was your chemical-dependency counselor at the Treatment Center, informing me that you were planning on checking yourself out. After seven weeks of inpatient treatment, you had decided you’d had enough.

I’m thinking this counselor believed I would be able to persuade you to stay. I will give the Center credit; they really tried to keep you there—pulled out all the arguments, called in all the big guns like your mother and your counselor and the therapist. You could not be swayed. So, I said good-bye. And a few hours later the Center called to tell me that you were, in fact, gone.

So now, once again, you are living on the streets, and we don’t know where you are. We’ve been through this before, but even so, it is still so painful.

Do keep in touch.

Love,
Mom

1 comment:

  1. Martha,

    My heart is breaking for you. I am so sorry to hear this news.

    Please know that I will look for David wherever I go and ask him to call you, not to check in, not to ask for help, but to simply let his mom know "I am alive, I am breathing."

    Please know that I am praying for you all to find peace, and most importantly for David to find hope. Hope that he matters to not only himself but to so many more.

    Much love, I promise to read today and everyday. Love Tracy Sherbert.

    ReplyDelete